Gastonia, North Carolina
 
Gaston County was created on December 21, 1846 , by the North Carolina State General Assembly to promote the public health, safety and welfare and to secure the peace and dignity of the County. The area which comprises Gaston County was formerly a part of Lincoln County . The County was named for the Honorable William Gaston, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. Dallas was the original County Seat and held that title until 1911 when a third attempt to move the County Seat to Gastonia was finally successful. Gastonia has maintained the title ever since.
 
Gaston County is located in the South-Central Piedmont section of North Carolina . It is bounded on the east by the Catawba River and Mecklenburg County , on the west by Cleveland County , on the north by Lincoln County and on the south by York County , South Carolina . Gaston was formed from a lower portion of Lincoln County in 1846.

Gaston County is one of one hundred counties created by the North Carolina State Legislature. It ranks 74th in size consisting of approximately 364.5 square miles, and is seventh in population with approximately 190,000 people recorded during the 2000 Census.The estimated population, in 2003, was 67,781. The County has fifteen incorporated towns.

Gastonia is a city in Gaston County, in the Charlotte-Gastonia metro area.

The community was named for the county, which was named for William Gaston, congressman and and state Supreme Court judge.

 

The early settlers of Gaston County were principally Scotch Irish, Pennsylvania Dutch, and English. Upon their arrival, they found a few Catawba Indians remaining, but this tribe soon moved to South Carolina . In anticipation of an attack by the Cherokees, who were then engaged in border warfare, a fort was constructed at the junction of the Catawba and South Fork Rivers . Relations were maintained with the few Indians in the area, and there is no indication that the fort was ever necessary.